6-8 Servings Prep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.
• 1-1/2 pounds turnips (about 6 medium), peeled and sliced
• 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 cup butter, cubed
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 2/3 cup milk
• 4 eggs, separated
• 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
• Place turnips, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and sugar in a saucepan; cover
• with water. Cover and cook until turnips are tender, about 15-20
• minutes; drain well and mash (do not add milk or butter). Set aside
• In another saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour and remaining
• salt until smooth. Add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2
• minutes. Beat egg yolks in a small bowl; gradually stir in 1/2 cup
• hot milk mixture. Return all to pan; cook and stir for 1 minute.
• Stir in turnips; remove from the heat. Beat egg whites until stiff
• peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into a greased 11-in. x 7-in.
• glass baking dish. Sprinkle with bacon. Bake, uncovered, at 350°
• for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 195 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 142 mg cholesterol, 695 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.